When you use a computer, the visible software or files are not the only active component in the system. There are more background activities than the foreground activities that ensure the smooth operation of the whole device. One such background process is carried out by the RAVBg64.exe file.
It is somehow related to the audio features of your computer. Although it is a critical file, it does not take up much CPU space to run. But from time to time, users may encounter high CPU usage by RAVBg64.exe in their devices. If you are stuck with the same, then do not worry! Because here are some working solution for the same.
What is RAVBg64.exe?
RAVBg64.exe is an essential part of the Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers on your computer. The Realtek Semiconductor creates it. It is not an operating system file. But you can think of it as the bridge between the operating system and the audio hardware, i.e., speakers and headphone jacks of the device.
If the file goes missing, your computer won’t necessarily stop working. But the absence of any audio will take out the very fun of it. The “.exe” portion of the file name suggests that it is an executable file. It is a well-known fact that the executable files may harm the system in some instances. One should be careful about this file, too, and have it scanned from time to time.
Causes of High CPU Usage by RAVBg64.exe
There can be various suspects behind critical CPU utilization by the same executable file. Whatever may be the reason, you will feel its effect only when your system will start to behave abnormally, and some tasks would become hard to complete due to the high CPU involvement.
- Faulty drivers: A fault in the Realtek audio drivers results in the same. The error in the main drivers will compel the file to divert its way of working from the efficient path. It will make the file take up more CPU power to carry out the same task. If this is the reason behind the error, then updating the Realtek drivers will rectify the problem.
- Missing register keys: If the registry keys of the Realtek audio drivers go missing in your system, then the file will start to behave abnormally. SRS Labs and APO are the registry keys that we are concerned about here. To rectify the situation, you will have to check for them. If they are not present, then manually adding them will solve the problem.
- Malware injection: We have already mentioned that the executable files can be harmful to computers sometimes. Also, there have been multiple instances when hackers add malware or spyware to a computer system whose name resembles RAVBg64.exe. In such cases, the malicious file will take up high CPU power to carry out its intended task. It is advised to scan your computer to avoid the risk regularly.
How to Fix RAVBg64.exe High CPU Usage?
So, we have mentioned 5 ways to fix ravbg64 exe high CPU usage issue. Try them one by one to solve ravbg64.exe multiple instances issue and run your PC smoothly.
1. Restart the Realtek Programs
- Right-click on taskbar/system tray and choose Task Manager.
- Select the Startup tab.
- Now, locate the Realtek HD audio manager. It may be different according to your device. Make sure it is related to audio.
- Left-click on the option to select it and press on the Disable button at the bottom of the window.
- That’s it. Go back to the Processes tab and check CPU usage.
- Next, right-click on the Windows icon at the left bottom of your screen. Among the list of options, select the Device Manager section. Alternatively, just press Windows + X and choose the same.
- In the new window, locate the sound, video and game controllers option and expand it.
- Right-click on the Realtek high definition audio controller option and Disable it.
- Now that you have disabled all follow all the previous steps to enable what you have just disabled. Meaning, allow the Realtek HD audio manager and Realtek high definition audio controller.
- Finally, restart your computer to check whether or not the RAVBg64.exe error is solved.
2. Add New Registry Keys
- Press the Windows key and the R key simultaneously in your device to open up the Run dialogue box.
- Type regedit in the provided space and press the OK button below it
- It will open up the registry key folder. On the left sidebar of the window, expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Now go to the Software section.
- Look for the SRS Labs key in the main body of the window. If you can’t find it, then you will need to add it manually.
- Right-click on the Software section that we have previously mentioned and select the New option followed by Key.
- Choose your key and rename as SRS Labs.
- Once the SRS Labs key is added, you will need to add the subkey named APO. Right-click on the SRS Labs and insert the subkey.
- When you are done, restart your computer to finish the task.
3. Update the Drivers
- Open the Device Manager by right-clicking on the Windows key on your screen.
- Expand the Sound, video and game controllers and right-click on the Realtek high definition audio. Choose Update driver.
- Choose Search automatically for updated driver software on the next screen.
- When the updates will automatically complete, restart your device.
4. Run System File Checker (SFC)
This is an evergreen troubleshoot for such unwanted CPU usage. Running system file checker will repair your corrupted files. Let’s check how to do that.
- Open command prompt by either searching directly from the search bar within the taskbar or by going with cmd through the run window.
- Type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
- Wait for a while till the process is finished.
5. Reinstall the Drivers
- Right-click on the Windows sign of your screen and select Device Manager.
- Expand the Sound, video and game controllers and uninstall the Realtek high definition audio by right-clicking on it.
- Now. Restart your system and open Device Manager again.
- Click on the Action tab in the popup window and select the Scan for hardware changes option.
- The previous step will show you that the Realtek audio drivers are missing. Click on the Install drivers and it will automatically download the latest version of the drivers.
If you follow the steps mentioned above, then the RAVBg64.exe multiple processes error or the high CPU usage error will be solved. Also, make sure that you scan your system regularly. It will ensure that not any malicious file is using your system in the name of the RAVBg64.exe file.