The steam store is a one-stop store for gamers. The store offers varieties of video games, video streaming, and game installation and matchmaking server for its users. It is loaded with features, but that does not mean that the service is free of glitches. One of the main problems that the Steam users face is Steam store not loading or steam store not working in their devices.
Though they also take care of the automatic updates of the games that they offer, you are supposed to face issues unlikely. But what are the reasons behind this issue, and what are the remedies? We are discussing all these aspects of that particular issue regarding the Steam store.
- 1 Steam store not loading causes
- 2 How to Fix Steam Store Not Loading Problem?
Steam store not loading causes
There can be several reasons behind this problem, starting from your internet connection to the settings of your store. Let’s go through them one by one.
- Internet connection: It may seem like an obvious suspect but people miss it so many times. You need to make sure that your device is properly connected to an internet service. Make sure that the services are not recently discontinued due to payment issues or some other reason. Also, having a connection is not enough. It should be a stable one, and the speed should be enough so that you can get further from the Steam store black screen. It may also occur when the services of your internet provider remain down for some time.
- New versions: The Steam store may not correctly work in your system if you have not updated it for a very long time. The subsequent updates add new features and security systems to provide safety and rich user experience to the customers. Simultaneously, some other aspects of the previous versions of the Steam store go redundant. It may potentially lead to Steam not loading issue. In addition to the Steam store, the device in which it is used should be regularly updated.
- HTML cache: HTML cache of the game browser piles up over time and start to take up storage space in the device. They can also interfere with your connection to the servers. The pile of HTML cache slows down the device too. It eventually leads to the non-functionality of the store.
- Steam web browser cache: The effect of the Steam web browser cache is similar to the HTML caches. You might have come across the impact of web browser caches and history files in the working of email services. The case of the Steam store is almost similar. If you have not cleaned the browser for a long time, then there is a huge possibility that it is the culprit that you have been looking for.
- Compatibility: If you want to run the Steam store smoothly, then the compatibility of the Steam.exe file should be disabled. Make sure that it is not enabled in your system. Otherwise, you will face the Steam website not loading or Steam pictures not loading problem in the device.
How to Fix Steam Store Not Loading Problem?
Now that you know the reasons behind your problem, we can move on to solving them one by one. But first, make sure that your internet connection is stable and working!
Solution 1: Clear HTML Cache
We have discussed the effect of unclear HTML cache in the Steam store. Now, follow these steps to clear HTML cache of the steam store:
- Open My Computer/This PC.
- From the menu, click on View.
- In the Show/hide panel, check the Hidden items if it’s unchecked.
- Now, go to this path – C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Steam\htmlcache. It will open the HTML cache folder. (Admin is the username of my PC. So instead, there will be your username.)
- You will need to delete all the files of the HTML cache folder. To do so, select all the items of the folder and click on the Delete button.
See if the “steam is not loading properly” problem is resolved.
Solution 2: Clear Download Cache
If the above solution doesn’t work then don’t worry. You should clear the download cache of the steam store. Follow the below steps to do it:
- Press the Windows + R key together.
- When the Run dialogue box appears, type steam://flushconfig in the provided space. Hit the OK button.
- A new popup window will appear. It will warn you that the local download cache of the Steam store will be deleted. In addition to that, you will have to re-enter your credentials to log into your Steam account. Click on the OK option in this step.
- It will clear all the downloaded cache of the steam store.
Finally, restart the steam store and log in to your account. Check if the steam store is loading properly or not.
Solution 3: Clear Steam Web Browser Cache
As we discussed in the causes of the steam store not loading properly, the steam web browser cache and cookies can be one of the issues. So, let’s clear the steam web browser cache.
- Open the Steam client and click on the Steam menu.
- From the list of options, choose Settings.
- Choose the Web Browser from the left sidebar.
- On the main body of the Steam window, click on the Delete Web Browser Cache and Delete All Browser Cookies.
- Choose OK when it asks for confirmation.
Now, start the steam and check whether the steam store not working issue is resolved.
Solution 4: Update the Steam Store
If you have not updated the Steam Store for a long time, it may not work properly. Follow these steps to update your Steam store:
- Right-click on the bottom taskbar of your screen. Choose the Task Manager option from the list of menus. Alternatively, you can press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc buttons together to bring up the task manager.
- Under the Processes section of the task manager, find the Steam Client BootStrapper process.
- Once you find it, right-click on it and choose to End task.
- Now, press the Windows + R key to bring up the Run dialogue box.
- In the provided space of the box, type C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam and hit the OK button below it. It will lead to a folder.
- Inside the folder, Delete all the files and folders other than these five – skins, steamapps, userdata, Steam.exe, and ssfn files (can be more than one). Means don’t delete these five types of files and folders.
- Next, go over to your desktop screen and click on the Steam store shortcut. At this point, the store will start to update on its own.
When it is done, log into your Steam account to resume the services. Most probably this solution will fix steam store not loading problem.
Solution 5: Turn Off Compatibility Mode
Still, if you’re having an issue of the steam store not working properly then you should turn off the compatibility mode. To do so, follow the below steps:
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows+R together.
- Type C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam and hit the OK button to open steam folder.
- Now, Right-click on Steam.exe and open Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab and uncheck all boxes.
- Now, click on Change settings for all users.
- Uncheck all boxes of that dialog box and click on Apply and OK.
- Save the Steam properties by click on Apply and OK.
Relaunch the steam and look out if the steam website not loading problem is solved or not.
Solution 6: Run Steam in Big Picture Mode
Running steam in big picture mode is an efficient way for many users who have steam pictures not loading problem.
- Look out for the Steam icon in the taskbar.
- Right-click on it and then select Big Picture.
- The steam client will load in big picture mode.
Check your steam store is loading fine or not.
Solution 7: Launch Steam from Shortcut
Launching steam from shortcut is a proven workaround for most users. However, you will be able to run the steam from the original app too. As we will create a new shortcut of the steam.
- Open the steam folder as we have opened in previous solutions.
- Right-click on Steam.exe and click on Create shortcut.
- Now, right-click on Steam – Shortcut and select Properties.
- Go to the Shortcut tab.
- In the Target box, leave a space at the end & add -no-cef-sandbox.
- Click on Apply & OK.
Now, open Steam by double-clicking on the Steam Shortcut. Hopefully, this technique will solve the “steam not loading issue”.
So, we have seen a total of 7 solutions to fix steam store not loading problem. These techniques can be used to solve Steam store not loading Mac or Windows systems. Follow the steps one after another to eliminate every potential reason. We have personally checked and verified all the solutions. The steam not loading error solved by the above techniques. If you have any other method to resolve steam store black screen problem then let us know in the comment section below.