A lot of errors can appear when you try to open an app. That is when you are in a streak of bad luck. And this time the error read “VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing”. You may have encountered this error while running programs like XAMPP, WAMP, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, PUBG Lite, etc. So what exactly is this error? What caused it? And most importantly, how do I fix it? For finding out the answers to all these questions, keep reading the article.
- 1 What is VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing Error?
- 2 How To Fix VCRUTIME140.dll is missing Error
- 2.1 Solution 1: Checking the Recycle Bin
- 2.2 Solution 2: Re-registering VCRUNTIME140.dll file
- 2.3 Solution 3: Reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update
- 2.4 Solution 4: Repairing Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
- 2.5 Solution 5: Running an SFC scan
- 2.6 Solution 6: Running DISM
- 2.7 Solution 7: Checking for Windows update
- 2.8 Solution 8: Running a full system scan
What is VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing Error?
ProgramName.exe – System Error
The program can’t start because VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
You can say that the VCRUNTIME140.dll is a collection of codes and commands that are loaded when software requires it. Hence, the absence of the file will cause trouble and improper functioning.
Causes of the Error
- Many people came across this error on Adobe’s Creative Cloud. It has been reported that it is due to the migration of Adobe Creative Cloud form Microsoft runtimes to Visual C++.
- Then there are certain sections of the users who have encountered the error due to the use of Kodi.
- The improper working of XAMPP/WAMP software also leads to the issue.
How To Fix VCRUTIME140.dll is missing Error
There are several methods to solve VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing error. So, check them out below.
Solution 1: Checking the Recycle Bin
Let’s start with the easiest of the solutions. The error may be caused because you have somehow accidentally deleted the file. If that, in fact, is the case, then you have a good shot of finding it in your trash. Just get to the Recycle Bin and look for the file. And if your Bin is filled with too many items use the search bar to look for VCRNTIME140.dll. Right-click on it once you find it and choose the Restore option.
This is the easy and best solution to fix VRCUNTIME140.dll missing error.
Solution 2: Re-registering VCRUNTIME140.dll file
The next thing you can try is probably re-registering for the missing file. To make the process happen you just need a little help from the command prompt and know a command.
- Go to the Windows search bar. Type in Run and press Enter.
- Type in cmd in the space provided. But don’t hit Enter or choose OK just yet.
- Press the Ctrl key, Shift key and Enter key on your keyboard simultaneously to open the command prompt as an administrator.
- First, you need to unregister the file. So type this command on the black screen and hit Enter.
regsvr32 /u VCRUNTIME140.dll
- After unregistering it, all that is left is re-registering it. Use the command below for that purpose. Just type it in and hit Enter.
- Check if the issue has been resolved.
Solution 3: Reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update
The Visual C++ Redistributable file does the job of installing the parts of Visual C++ libraries that are needed at run time. And these parts are much required for the smooth functioning of the applications developed with the help of Visual Studio 2015.
It has been reported that reinstalling the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 will do the trick as far as the error in the discussion is considered. Do remember to follow the terms set by Microsoft while installing it.
- Click here to get Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable update.
- You will see a Download button there. Hit it.
- Now you will be taken to a screen where you will be asked what version of the file you want.
- There is a vc_redist.x64.exe file and a vc_redist.x86.exe. Choose the former if your computer runs on a 64-bit operating system and the later if it runs on a 32-bit operating system.
To check whether your system is a 32-bit or 64-bit, use the combination Windows key + Pause key. Look under the System section. And you can check it against System type.
- Choose the Next option at the bottom of the screen after that.
- Open the downloaded file.
- At the end of the Terms and Conditions screen, check the box against I agree to the license terms and conditions.
- Choose the Install option.
Now, check that “VCRUNTIME140.dll not found” issue solved or not.
Solution 4: Repairing Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
It might be the case that your computer has several versions of Microsoft Visual C++ installed and running together. If that’s the case then you need to get to the file and then repair it.
- Use the Windows search bar to look for Control Panel.
- Open the first app from the search results.
- Tap on the drop-down menu beside the View by the option on the top right side of the screen.
- Choose the Large icons option.
- From the various options, select the Programs and Features option.
- Find the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable file.
- Right-click on this file and choose the Change option from the menu that appears.
- A Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Modify Setup screen will appear. It will have a Repair option. Click on it.
- Restart your computer and check if the issue has been resolved.
Solution 5: Running an SFC scan
If you ever run into some kind of trouble that involves corrupted files then SFC is a go-to option. SFC is System File Checker and it will scan your system for corrupted files. And if it finds any, it will repair them. Moreover, it even deals with situations where a system file may be missing.
SFC has a wide range of applications in any kind of error and it is wise to use it for this error as well.
- Use the combination Windows key + R key on your keyboard to open the Run dialogue box. On the other hand, you can simply search for Run using the Windows search bar.
- Type in cmd against open in the dialogue box.
- Instead of going for OK or hitting Enter, use the Ctrl + Shift + Enter combination. This is because we need to open the command prompt as an administrator.
- If you are prompted, proceed with Yes.
- The black screen of the command prompt is where you enter your commands. Type the command below and then press the Enter key.
- It may take some time for the scan to complete. Restart your computer after it is done.
I hope that VCRUNTIME140.dll missing error will be solved now.
Solution 6: Running DISM
If running an SFC did not do the trick, then run it again after a DISM. DISM means Deployment Image Servicing and Management and it fixes any malfunctioning in regards to Windows images including Windows Setup, Windows PE, and Windows Recovery Environment.
- Yet again use the combination Windows key + R key to summon the Run dialogue box. And if you please you can use the Windows search bar to look for it instead.
- As you can see, there will a space beside open. Type in cmd right there.
- Open the command prompt as an administrator with the help of the combination Ctrl + Shift + Enter.
- Type the command shown and then press the Enter key.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- The process will be done in a while. Restart your computer after that.
Solution 7: Checking for Windows update
Updating to the current version of Windows never hurt anyone. In fact, not doing it can sometimes lead to errors. This is because some applications cannot run on outdated files. The same thing goes for the current error as well. Therefore, updating windows is a must.
- Click on the Start button on the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Select the Gear icon and open the Settings.
- Among the options available, choose the Update & Security option.
- Select the Windows Update section from the left pane.
- If an update is available, download and install it.
- If not then choose the Check for updates option. Windows will now look for updates and proceed.
Updating Windows always fixes most of the errors. So, it’s possible that the system will automatically download VCRUNTIME140.dll file if it’s missing.
Solution 8: Running a full system scan
Viruses and malware cause all kinds of errors and give us a lot of trouble. Apparently, it also does some damage to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package. So you strongly consider performing a full scan on your computer. You can surely use a third-party antivirus for this purpose. But if you wish to proceed with Windows defender, then here is how.
- Place the cursor on the Windows search bar.
- Type in a Windows Security and then hit Enter.
- Open Windows Security from the search results.
- Choose the Virus & threat protection option from the left panel of the screen.
- Click on the Scan options.
- Choose the Full scan option that will scan your entire computer for traces of malware.
- Proceed with the Scan now button and the scan will initiate.
- After the completion of the scan, check if the issue has been resolved.
If a virus or malware affects the VCRUNTIME.dll file, Windows Defender will remove that threat from the system. Problem solved!
Now you have a decent idea about the “VCRUNTIME140.dll was not found” error and all the ways to fix it. All thanks to the article above. So what are you waiting for? Go and fix VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing.